Wednesday 25 February 2015

Brand On Shelf Visit

Today, I went to Brand on Shelf is based to meet Torben the creative director at the Leeds branch. Unfortunately he came down to meet me at the reception and he took us out for a coffee. He did mention that if the meeting room was being used he would have to take me out somewhere as the current studio was very small.

We went to Malmaissons which is just down the road from where they are based. We then sat down and had a short chat about what we had done today and how the day was planning out. He made me feel very relaxed so therefore I felt more at ease when explaining my portfolio.

This is the portfolio I took:



After I had presented my work to him, he mentioned that I have a very feminine style and therefore he would like me to maybe brand something for men or something with a totally different aesthetic.

He gave me a little advise for when I am presenting to create a story behind the brand.... Tell a story so that the concept is about the background of the brand. "gurjits canaries"

If you are rebranding something put a before & after this is always interesting!

Place it institue - In Mrs Smith's fridge.

He said he would like to meet me again in around 2-3 months & he would like an invite to my end of year show.

He said he would keep me in mind for any placement opportunities as he is not yet in a position to be able to accept placements as their studio is too small.

With my multisensory cinema he told me I should take it to the cinema & photograph the box on the seat. Explain how they would know what they would be finding in the dark...

He then told me an interesting task to complete when designing something - if you was to send a little boy in a supermarket to go get a product. How would you explain it? Therefore you need to make sure it stands out from the rest on the shelf. Not just for the method of little ones going shopping but its a basis if a little boy can find it its going to be interesting.

He went through my portfolio one by one:

Tea:
Whats the story behind the logo?
Whats different about yours?
Tips of the leafs only?
Title a pic close up!

Multisensory Cinema:
How do you know which one you are getting in the dark?
Photograph box on a cinema seat?

Sweetshop:
110 years why? - Is there 100 years within design?
Handcrafted - like the sweets they make?
Before & after logo, what have you done?

Christmas Cards area nice touch but take out!

Attention to detail:
All double page spreads
How to books
Different from print.

Wedding:
Does it bring anything?
Barn wedding, lace & neutral theme?

Masculine 
Builders Tea
Nice Box
Something with diversity.

You can tell you have a good eye for design, but you are not showing various skills. Maybe create an editorial page?

Unfortunately I didn't get to see the studio, but this maybe something that I can ask for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment